Blogroll Me! North Portland News: Reluctant YES on Measure 26-64

Monday, October 25, 2004

Reluctant YES on Measure 26-64

It's the last thing to fill out on my ballot. I've been agonizing over this measure more so than any other, including the state measures. Why? It seems straightforward enough I suppose. Measure 26-64 would repeal the voter approved county income tax, most likely leaving schools and other services in a bind over the next two years. No one wants to take money from children, least of all I, who has been advocating for better schools since I was in the 6th grade.

If I would of been a resident of Multnomah County last summer when the measure was first voted on, (I was living in Lane County while going to UO) I would have voted NO on the tax then (as I did with the same measure in Lane). But, I wasn't living here and those who were, already voted on the issue, whether I agreed with it or not. And, it's not my first inclination to change something already decided just because I don't agree.

Which is why this issue has been nagging at me for weeks now. For even though I believe in the cause, more money for our schools and services, I think the tax payers have already paid their fair share. The government has mis-managed the taxpayer's money by wasteful and frivolous spending. Furthermore, I think it is disgusting and disgraceful that it has come down to voters refusing to pay more for our own much needed services, just to make a point to our elected officials, who should be ashamed.

So, why then am I voting YES for the repeal? It's not to hurt our children, nor is it to give a proverbial middle finger to "the man". I decided to vote YES because of the unfair and poorly written text of the measure. Even if I was for a county tax increase (the only west of the Mississippi), the way the measure is written makes anyone who works outside of the county but lives in Portland required to pay and unfairly excludes some others from having to pay.

Plus, since the measure was first past last year, 1 of 3 taxpayers haven't paid. Why? No doubt because the extra chunk it takes out of their paycheck is too much of a burden on so many already hurting incomes. And, of the money collected from the tax increase, where has it gone? To the classroom? Well, not as promised. (Read more)

In the end, I think the people of Multnomah County deserve better from their elected officials. Certainly they can spend our money wiser and more efficiently, for causes that need the most attention like our schools. But, the three-year tax increase is not going to fix the shortfall and there is no sign from our officials that anything is being done to eliminate the issue for 2006.

From the editor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home